Responsible for: Everything
Software: Maya, Houdini, Mari, Nuke
Duration for completion: 5 weeks
One of my goals on this project was to experiment art directing RBD simulations.
I used a simple approach with constraints: constraints between fractured pieces and also constraints between different materials (wood to metal...etc). To art direct the simulation, I controlled the explosion by creating custom animated velocity vectors that were added in the simulation by a SOP solver. I also controlled the number and strength of constraints in areas I wanted to be flimsier or stronger. I chose to use bullet & packed primitives for speed.
From there, I used the 'debrissource' node to create points that I could use as a source for some dust trailing off my pieces. The rest of the volume simulations were sourced from particles with each mortar blast being 3 separate sims in the end.
I modeled the house in Maya, textured it in Mari and after simulating in Houdini, brought it back into Maya via alembic. I rendered the volumes with Mantra and used deep rasters to create holdouts in Nuke. Final compositing done in Nuke.