Responsible For: Everything except car and helicopter models
Software: Maya, Houdini, Mari, Nuke
Duration for completion: 140 Hours
I used a proxy model of the helicopter as the driving force in the simulation. Using bullet & packed primitives, I created constraints between each objects fractured pieces and also between each material object (between wood and concrete, roof and walls....etc).
The dust from the RBD simulation was sourced from particles generated by the 'debris source node' . Similarly, I made points for secondary debris using the same method and then copied deformed spheres onto them. I faked interaction using VOPs. The smoke coming off the helicopter was simulated & rendered in Maya.
I created all of the shaders procedurally in Maya using VRay. After simulating, the simulation geometry was written out as alembic and brought back to Maya to be rendered with VRay. The RBD dust simulation was rendered in Mantra.
I wanted to try out deep compositing after watching Weta's Planet of the Apes demo on YouTube so I rendered the RBD dust without holdouts and also saved the deep rasters for everything in my scene. I created holdouts for the smoke with deep nodes while doing the final compositing in Nuke.